Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Learning from Other Cultures

I attended a lecture by Gemma, the woman who married into the Maasai tribe that lives in Tanzania. I found it amazing to listen to her wisdom from living in England and now in Africa. She described the culture of Tanzania, describing their education system, medicine system, and different aspects of their culture. I went to this lecture because at the time I was applying to spend my Jterm of 2008 studying abroad on the Tanzania trip. I now know I have made it and am excited to expand my knowledge and education by learning first hand by a different culture.

I think the opportunities Luther students have to study abroad are amazing. What better way to become a more well-rounded individual then leave the country to be educated. I think not only will I gain knowledge I would never get staying in the United States, but I will gain a life experience that will shape me as a person. Seeing first hand a new way of life will help me appreciate my own, and possibly positively change my ways.

As a teacher I hope to have experiences to share with my students. Although studying abroad with a classroom is unrealistic, the concept is not. We must teach our students about more than just America. They need to learn about global current events, global issues, histories of other countries, and the way people live in other parts of the world. I am excited that I am starting m y global travels at such a young age so I will be able to take what I learn and share my experience with my classrooms to help create globally knowledgeable students and well-rounded individuals.

No comments: