Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Exploring the Vegetarian Option

My older brother became a vegetarian a few years ago, and while I have discussed this with him briefly, I decided now would be a good time to learn more about the vegetarian diet and why he chose to change. His main reasons were due to way the meat was produced. Animals are antibiotics and steroids, they require a lot of water and agriculture which is taxing on the soil as well as pollutant. He also stated that if everyone ate a vegetarian diet there would be enough food for everyone. He believes the pros to being a vegetarian are being healthier, having cheaper food bills, and for him he has a sense of pride because his personal philosophy is reflected in his way of life. He did admit that there were cons to the diet, the main ones being it is difficult to go out to eat or prepare meals that appeals to meat eaters.

While I agree that these are good reasons to change a diet, they didn't quite convince me. His arguments did make me more aware of what I eat and I do think I will be more conscious from now on, making vegetarian choices occasionally.

I enjoyed creating a lesson for myself because I was able to choose something I am interested in, making the learning seem more meaningful.

No comments: