Saturday, March 10, 2007

HAIR!

I attended Hair on Thursday and I was impressed. Before I went I did not know much about it. I loved the topics they addressed and the characters. Each one did an exceptional job of being completely submerged in their character, making me forget that I knew so many of them. Hair is a great way to raise awareness about stereotypes, the draft, and the way we think. Even though it was in the 1960's, many of the issues are still apparent today. Once again, people are facing the decision of leaving their family and friends to fight for our country. We as a country are forced to think about what we believe in and decide if we will make a difference. Also, Hair destroyed social norms by the vulgar language and scenes centered around sex and drugs. I think it is important to recognize how much a show can accomplish, how much a show can make you think about your own views and beliefs.

Although Hair is not appropriate for most ages, the idea of the fine arts is. These days, standardized testing has become the focus and fine arts are being looked over in many cases. Is it fair for someone to decide that one kind of education is more important than another? Fine arts gives many creative students an outlet and a way to express themselves, and just like in Hair, profound messages can be stated in this way. I think educators need to realize the importance of fine arts, giving it the same amount of importance in a curriculum as math and science. Although I have never been involved too much in fine arts, I do appreciate it and believe plays and concerts can have as big of an impact on the audience as an impowering speech.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I also saw Hair last weekend, and I agree that it brought up a lot of good points. It's important for us as future teachers to constantly be attending stuff like this and constantly figuring out who we are as people. I'm also really glad that things like this can help us see how important it really is to keep the arts in the schools. Things like drama programs are just as important as math and science. And I'm glad you liked it.